Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Blending Student Evals


Here is my students reaction to a couple of questions regarding our AP biology blended learning class this year.   Their comments were unedited in any way   

Q:  What did you think of how the class was done this year with 50% online and 50% face to face instruction? What did you like about it? What didn’t you like about it? 

a1. The structure of the class was very convenient.  I obviously liked how I could do my work whenever.  I prefer the traditional classroom setting to the online setting, but I don't dislike the online setting. 
a2 I liked it, it gave me more time to do the assignments on my own time, the videos were really great but i felt like we didn't get that in depth but that is probably because of how much material we had to cover. 
a3. I thought it was really good! I feel like I learned a lot more from the video lectures than I did when we came into class. I think it is because i took notes for the videos, but sometimes i didn't think there was a whole lot of benefit from coming to class. I think a lot of people struggled with knowing when things were due what the requirements were for some assignments. It was probably our own faults though. 
a4.I think it was a good idea. I appreciated the ability to work through things on my own. I would have appreciated more control over my study, such as the ability to skip homework over stuff I understand already, and, to be honest, I thought the video notes could be shortened by half or three-quarters without losing any of the information. However, these are my own feelings, and I do not think it would be beneficial for an entire class to implement them 
a5 The online was not my favorite because I think that during class, we would have done more with the time that we had than we did online. With online, the assignments were short and sometimes I did not have time outside of school to do the review that we were supposed to do. The reason I saved the review for home was so that I could remeber it better the next day when we had a quiz or whatnot. 

a6.  I liked that we were able to take our work home and work on it there because I work a lot better when I'm at home by myself then I do in a class room setting because I get distracted really easy and can't focus but at home I can do whatever it is that im suppossed to be doing because I focus and just listen to music and don't talk to anyone. And I liked doing all the labs in class. 




Q: Your grade aside, evaluate your personal efforts in this class. Do you feel you worked as hard as you needed to? Do you think that the format of the class was a hindrance or help to you in this way.



a1. I do not think I worked as hard as I needed to.  I think the format of the class caused me to postpone work more than I would have in the traditional classroom setting

a2. I feel like I could have worked harder to get a good grade but I did in fact learn a lot and that matters. 

a3. The setup this year in my opinion allowed me to work harder because we only met once every two days. If I could not complete the homework on a specific night I had an extra day to catch up and watch the notes. However, the last few weeks I did slow down more and not pay as much attention because it seemed easier than the beginning of the year.

I do think that many of these comments and issues could be applied to flipped classroom also.!

No comments:

Post a Comment