Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blending Biology

So I feel like I am a loner.  I check twitter, I check blogs, google, etc. and there is NO ONE posting regarding blended instruction.  I think we are on the cusp of a revolution, not where #flipclass is going but one where students will NOT be in school or in your class everyday but one where they will have the freedom to be elsewhere working on your class.  This year I have implemented (with the blessing of my principal) a blended learning AP class.  The reason for AP was:
  1. students are intrinsically motivated in AP
  2. all of the students are comfortable with computer use and have all had at least one online class
  3. the time of day the class meets is conducive to attempting this.
We started on October 14 with a note to parents about what we were attempting.  They were all on board with the trial.  We meet every other day in class (with exceptions made for labs and other things).  The in class day is spent reviewing any material we need to, doing labs and other activities to enhance understanding of the material from the particular unit.  Since we started this, there has been no discernible difference in their test scores either from the first test (pre-blend) or past years.  The rubber will meet the road in May when they take their AP test. 
For me, the biggest issue has been maintaining the amount of work that they have to do.  At first, I would not give them enough to do because I was thinking in terms of meeting days and not in terms of all days.  I felt like I was overloading them when in actuality, I was underloading them.  I spent ( and still spend) all of the online day making lesson plans for the next rotation and trying to come up with new ways to help them learn online.  I am making recordings of all "lectures" that I would be giving in class and having them take notes and then summarize the notes to hand in electronically (thank you @crystalkirch for the idea!)
For the students, there have been a couple of issues:
  1. time management-they tended to slack at first and not use the online day wisely
  2. not using the online vehicle of forums to ask questions but rather waiting until f2f meeting when we had the quiz over the topic
  3. difficulty in keeping track (using provided information) what was due. 
I had to help them by providing a monthly updated google calendar and have just recently started weekly updates which they REALLY like. This has also helped me organize my thoughts in this new way of doing things. 
All in all, I think this has been a successful foray so far.  I would appreciate any questions, comment,  thoughts you have on the idea of blending instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment