Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Game day and teaching

It's game day!!

Not sure what life would be like without coaching.  Coaching makes every day more interesting.  You never know how your kids are going to perform in games or practice.  Practice is fun because you can interact with students at such a different, personal level.  You get to know the whole person (and sometimes whole family!).  They also see you in a different light.  They see me not only as a biology nerd but someone who is passionate about basketball and has a life outside of the classroom.  I spend weeks in the summer with them helping them improve at a game we both love and getting to know them without the specter of playing time over their heads. 

Game day is an entirely different animal.  Players are engaged in class because they are excited by the prospect of performing tonight.  They feel like they are important and are given the task to wear the school colors and perform for something bigger than themselves. 

When I was in college, I was told that I should not coach my first few years of teaching so I could "learn how to be a teacher first."  I have asked student teachers and new teachers in my building if this is still told them and it is!  This is a huge travesty of misinformation. 
I coached 3 sports my first 3 years teaching, gave up one for about 15 and am coaching 3 sports again now.  I have learned more about how to interact with students and how to "read" their emotions and feelings on the field and court than I ever would have if I did not coach.  I have been able to get to know hundreds of people in a way I never could have if I did not coach.  I encourage all new teachers to coach something...even if you don't feel like you are qualified.  You can learn enough every day to "stay ahead" just like you do when faced with a new teaching hour you have never done.  You will get far more out of being a coach of middle or high schoolers than you ever realize.  The relationships you build last a lifetime.

It's game day!

No comments:

Post a Comment